Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ratha Saptami

Ratha Saptami is symbolic of the change of season to spring and the start of the harvesting season. For most Indian farmers, it is an auspicious beginning of the New Year. The festival is observed by all Hindus in their houses and in innumerable temples dedicated to Surya (Sun God), across India. Ratha Saptami also marks the birth of Surya to sage Kashyapa and his wife Aditi and hence celebrated as Surya Jayanti (the Sun-god’s birthday). And I luckily have the picture of Sun god with his Ratha (chariot) from my visit to Murudeshwar temple this new year.


Significance to me: My mother called me a while ago to mention today’s festival and that I should wear a ‘new dress’. Doing so, will bring me many more new clothes in future! Indian festivals come with their own personal, profitable beliefs!

For now, luckily I have a brand new dress ready and I am going to wear it! Which girl doesn’t like new dresses eh? Nevertheless, I can celebrate Sun god’s birthday, I belong to the Sun dynasty – Shilpa Suryavanshi!!!! Happy Birthday Sun God J Keep Shining!

1 comment:

  1. I was searchingh on Internet why to wear new clother on Ratha saptami as even my mother asked my to wear new on this day.. I am glad to know, I am not the only one who is following this ritual..

    ReplyDelete